Friday, September 21, 2012

Japanese Strawberry Cream Shortcake

Only a few short years ago, I didn't know why strawberry shortcakes here were not the crumbly, scone-like real shortcake shortcake. Turned out that the Japanese, lover of all things cute and girlish, came up with a strawberry and cream sponge cake (usually flavored with kirsch or other liqueurs) that is completely different from the American shortcake (poor Americans, now their shortcake is not the only shortcake around). I love both types. American shortcake is the first dessert I ate in America as a student visiting from Canada when my aunt Lucia made dinner. I thought it was the best thing I had eaten in years (sorry, Canadians, all I could afford was cakes from Safeway so anything else made a huge impression). And really, the two different shortcakes show the contrast in taste between westerners and easterners when it comes to cakes, although more and more of my friends are demanding more than just 'airy moussy nothingness'--my term for most cakes sold here. Westerners prefer cakes that are sweeter, more substantial in texture and with more depth in flavor while easterners perfer super light, less sweet, very soft and delicately-flavored cakes. I like both. That makes me a Wasterner.

DSC_7472_397x600a

DSC_7470_800x530a

One more seat left for tomorrow's baking class. Japanese strawberry cream cake will be one of the cakes you'll be learning.

8 comments:

Baby Sumo said...

I made a Japanese strawberry shortcake last month too, yours look delicious!

jo said...

wah, good that its in the lessons esok. i wanna learn pineapple cookies...the ones gave me last yr were vy vy good!

terri@adailyobsession said...

baby: you are so kind; i bet your s shortcake is even better. will check when i have time!

jo: will give u the recipe. wait..isnt it on this blog?

Kelly Siew said...

They look so gorgeous. I love any desserts with strawberries!

Anonymous said...

jun said:

Hi! Thank you for sharing your recipes here. They are wonderful! I came across your site few months ago and found this recipe of yours called "Old Fashioned Butter Cake" dated November 2009. I like your recipes and so I saved your blog as favourite. Today I'm going to bake the butter cake but when I clicked on your blog, I couldn't find it. I wonder if you have deleted or renamed it. Can you tell me where in your blog can I find it. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

This cake look so tempting and delicious especially when fresh strawberry and cake are combine..wish there is a slice in front of me now...Francis

Margaret said...

Hi, Terry. Haven't been here in AGES. sorry about that because this looks really good. Wish I could take the cooking class.

Harish Sangwan said...

red rose day
7 feb rose day
rose day greetings
world rose day
date of rose day
rose day cards
valentines day rose
valentine rose day
rose day msgs
national rose day
rose day wallpapers
rose day photos
rose day photo
rose day flowers

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...