Thursday, August 6, 2009

Golden Garlic Black Cod

black cod
Golden garlic black cod

Black cod is the best tasting fish, IMHO. It is extremely tender, smooth, delicate, moist and delicately but wonderfully flavored. There is so much oil in it that it doesn't matter if you overcook it--it never gets tough, unlike grouper or salmon or most fish.

steamed black cod
Steamed black cod, Cantonese restaurant-style

The best way to cook black cod (unrelated to the common cod which is used for fish and chips) is to steam it Cantonese restaurant-style, with lots of ginger and spring onions. This way, the fish retains its moisture and its true flavor is released. The Japanese way of teri yakiing it with soy sauce or miso comes second because frying such a delicate fish masks its flavor and replaces it with the flavor of heat, oil and the seasoning used.

The only fish Wey eats is black cod, and he's been begging me to deep-fry it instead of steaming but at the price of RM80/ US$22 per kg, I feel that it's a pity to cook it any other way. Today he gave me the most pitiful hangdog look ever and of course I fell for it and fried one slice for him and steamed the other two slices. Who wouldn't, Wey is extremely good at that look, outer eyebrows pulled down, shoulders hanging forward and almost whining. I still couldn't bring myself to deep-fry it, so I pan-fried it, which was stupid because deep-frying will cook the fish to an even tan and crisp it even more. Next time I will do that, irregardless of the oil.

What was our verdict? I still think black cod is best steamed but Wey said each method gives its special taste. And so here's a simple way to fry black cod if you are tired of steamed black cod.

Golden Garlic Black Cod
1 large black cod steak
1 t potato flour or cornflour
2 T chopped garlic

Sauce:
1 T good light soy sauce
1 t fine sugar
1/2 cup chicken stock
dash of white pepper

1.Heat up 3 T of oil in a wok and fry the garlic over low heat until lightly golden. Remove garlic (leave oil in the wok) to a small bowl.

2. Smear 1 t corn flour or potato flour on the skin and flesh of the cod.

3. Add 1 cup of oil to the same wok and deep-fry the cod until golden and cooked.

4. Put the fish on a serving plate. Pour away all the oil leaving about 1-2 tablespoon, add all the sauce ingredients and heat until it begins to boil. Pour the sauce over the fish, top it with the fried garlic and serve immediately. Alternatively, you can heat up the sauce in a small pot and pour the sauce over the fish and spoon 1 or 2 tablespoon of hot oil over the fish and then scatter the garlic on top.

22 comments:

red | hongyi said...

I am SO HUNGRY right now u wouldn't believe it.

I'm craving for RICE WINE CHICKEN. going to raid the asian grocer's tmr and check if they've got rice wine. and mee suah.

I'm hungry mummy...and I miss youuuuuuuuu

red | hongyi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jo-Hanna Ho said...

if it's this cod, steamed in soy sauce canto style is definately the best! I can't imagine eating it fried.. but then again, I'm not much of a deep fried / fried food person..
the best wat to eat fish for me is still steamed with simple sauce or with tomatoes n mushrooms the way my mom makes.. =D
making me miss my home cooked food! n cod of course... haven't had it in yrs...

honeybunch72 said...

Hello. May I asked where you buy your yummy cod fish from? Usually I see them frozen at the supermarket. Thanks.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Denise ^ ChickyEGG said...

Aiyohh ! suddenly I miss Wey ! :D

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Try Nobu's Black cod,if you visit Melbourne. Their signature dish,excellent!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ju (The Little Teochew) said...

Either way, your cod looks fantastic!!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
開拓王 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
terri@adailyobsession said...

yi: hi stranger. never seem to be able to get u on the phone

johanna:i admore ppl who don't eat deep-fried food, so unhealthy deep fried stuff.

time to go home n eat mom's food...

honeybunch: i get it frm hong seng in damai. i know everybody doens't like the lady boss there but i am used to her. she doesnt smile but she's ok.

denise: me too, the baby wey. this one getting a bit too independent

lil teochew: i don't think anyone can mess up cod. too tasty to make a mistake with this fish.

Jo-Hanna Ho said...

wish i could go home to eat my moms cooking.. unfortunately, i dont have the time os the $$ to do that.. sigh...

red | hongyi said...

i miss u so so so so much :(:(:(:( suddenly a pang of sadness coz i miss u :(

NEE said...

This really makes me want black cod fish. think it will be on the menu this week hehe.....
thanks for sharing the recipe.

Aisha said...

I've found about different methods of cooking fish at http://www.indianfoodsite.com/cooking_techniques_method_of_cooking_fish.htm

Shut Up and Cook said...

Yum! This looks fantastic!

Here's another way to do Black Cod that I recently discovered that was fantastic!

Seared Black Cod served on Pommes Paillasson topped with Chanterelles

http://wp.me/puWta-bO

Great blog!

Anonymous said...

I love your blog, I recommend to all people who love this kind of post to visit this site and blog of great interest.its given by Spices manufacturers

Unknown said...

listen fundraising is a very successful charity and i do a lot of fundraising for this charity. do you fundraise?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...