Thursday, April 9, 2009

Smoked Pork Belly With Salted Black Beans

bbpork
Smoked pork belly with black beans

P1310849

This is a slab of smoked pork belly we brought back from Singapore. We reluctantly used the last bit for fried rice (OM, so good!) yesterday. Wey was hoarding it like it was his life. He let go finally when I told him Uncle Clive will bring some in two weeks' time when he visits with his wife and baby. Can hardly wait to show you all the cutie. The baby, not the smoked pork.

Carrefour's smoked belly pork is way better than their imported bacon (which we also brought back). It is fresh, smooth, not salty and there's no porky stink. It comes uncut so you can cut it thick. Yum. We used most of it to fry rice with (to stretch it) but I was thinking maybe I could try cook with it because it wasn't salty or smoky in flavor. And you know what, it is excellent for stir fry. So good I even ate the fat and rind. My motto is when you eat something sinful, it better be worth it. For the same reason, I use the best butter for home made bread and I spread it real thick. If I eat butter cake, it better be good. Same with any dessert.

You can use fresh belly pork in place of the smoked pork. Just chill it so that cutting is easier and add slightly more salt or soy sauce. If you aren't a pork person, then use prawns or chicken or beef sliced thinly. This is not a shy dish, there'll be plenty of oil so I stand guilty of posting yet another oily dish. I personally believe that we need to ingest some fat once in a while. That's my beauty secret, believe it or not. Didn't anyone tell you that after 40 if you choose to keep your body (slim), you loose your face (gaunt). I'm choosing my face (less gaunt, hopefully) over my body (lumpy).

bbpork1
Smoked Belly Pork With Salted Black Beans

150-200 g smoked pork belly or lightly salted bacon*
1 medium- sized green bell pepper
1 medium- sized red bell pepper
1 small brown onion
1 T minced garlic
2 T black beans

Sauce:
1 t sesame oil
2 t light soy sauce
1/2 t caster sugar
black pepper
1 t cornflour
3 T water
--mix everything together well

For frying:
1 T oil
2 T shaoxin wine

*or use chicken cubes, or prawns or beef slices and marinade with salt, white pepper, some sesame oil and cornstarch and water. You can even use pork ribs (marinade too) but you'd have to cook them longer before adding the peppers.

1. Cut the belly pork into 5 cm x 8 cm x 3mm thick slices. Wash the black beans 3x. Taste one to find out how salty it is because different brands have different salt level. Cut the peppers and onion into 2.5 cm pieces.

2. Put the oil into a heated wok and lay the bacon pieces flat. Turn over when lightly browned (use medium heat) and stir when both sides are lightly browned. Take the bacon slices out, pour away all the oil and return pork slices back to wok.

3. Add the garlic and black beans and fry for about half minute, then add the peppers and onions, stirring to mix. Turn heat to low, cover and let it cook for about 2 minutes.

4. Remove cover, increase the heat and add the wine. Add the sauce and stir well until sauce has thickened. Give it about 30 seconds so that there won't be a floury taste. If sauce gets too thick, sprinkle in some water. Dish out, eat it hot with rice.

7 comments:

Terri said...

Oh my, Terri, does this look good. I don't think I can get pork belly here, but I've got a nice piece of slab bacon in the freezer. I'm going to make this next week. Yum!

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

ohhh lalala..

but the fat:meat ratio is abit unbalanced?

Precious Pea said...

Yummy yummy yum yum...just can't go wrong with bacon! Yahor..how come local bacon less salty as compared to those from Oz? I prefer the less salty version.

Big Boys Oven said...

wow I am dripping with my saliva now, looks so delicious done, you definitelysn swesome cook!

Shan said...

Oh. My. Goodness!

Terri!!! What were you thinking putting up porky posts that have me salivating! I'm seriously salivating... Drool :)

terri@adailyobsession said...

terri: i'll be checking on ur blog:)

joe: my son eats the fat n tears out the meat most of the time:(

pp: yes. i think bc we locals don't like it salty plus we use more preservatives than salt to keep it fresher?!

bbo: no lah, just 'tipu tipu' :D

shan: just to get a reaction from u, i'll make sure to put up a whole porky pig for you soon!

terri@adailyobsession said...

terri: i'll be checking on ur blog:)

joe: my son eats the fat n tears out the meat most of the time:(

pp: yes. i think bc we locals don't like it salty plus we use more preservatives than salt to keep it fresher?!

bbo: no lah, just 'tipu tipu' :D

shan: just to get a reaction from u, i'll make sure to put up a whole porky pig for you soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...